The newly revised Form I-9, available at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf, has been released and is available for use beginning March 8, 2013.
Significant changes to the form include:
- The overall form, including instructions, pages to complete, and list of acceptable documents increases from five pages to nine pages.
- The portion of the form to be completed increases from one page to two pages.
- Additional data is requested in both Section 1 and Section 2, some optional and some required. In Section 1,
informationincludes employee email address, telephone number, and additional information for aliens authorized to work. Section 2 requires additional information for certain List A documents.
- Although the list of acceptable documents has not changed, there is additional information clarifying some of the document types including a List A document for an alien authorized to work and a social security card.
- Space for a barcode has been included, although this is not for employee or employer use but for agency use.
About Michael Klazema The author
Michael Klazema is the lead author and editor for Dallas-based backgroundchecks.com with a focus on human resource and employment screening developments