The newly revised Form I-9, available at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf, has been released and is available for use beginning March 8, 2013.
Significant changes to the form include:
- The overall form, including instructions, pages to complete, and list of acceptable documents increases from five pages to nine pages.
- The portion of the form to be completed increases from one page to two pages.
- Additional data is requested in both Section 1 and Section 2, some optional and some required. In Section 1, information includes employee email address, telephone number, and additional information for aliens authorized to work. Section 2 requires additional information for certain List A documents.
- Although the list of acceptable documents has not changed, there is additional information clarifying some of the document types including a List A document for an alien authorized to work and a social security card.
- Space for a barcode has been included, although this is not for employee or employer use but for agency use.